Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It ain’t easy being green

As so perfectly summed up by Kermit the Frog all those years ago, it is indeed hard being green. Even now in this supposed enlightened age with greater access to information and services than ever before, it’s still a struggle. Not because it’s hard to get your cardboard and bottles recycled, or even because it’s still prohibitively expensive for many people to access solar and wind power. And I’m certainly the first to chime in when discussing the difficulties of being greener and healthier by riding a bike to work, don’t get me started!

I’m talking more about difficulties at a political and cultural level. Despite all our improved knowledge and sharing of information, being environmentally friendly or sustainable is still seen – socially and politically – as being a bit fringe. A bit out there. Sure everyone now puts their newspapers and bottles in their recycling bin, but anything slightly out of the ordinary and by golly, are you off hugging trees or something mate?!?! We all WANT to be seen to be ‘green’ but few of us do enough really, and I include myself in that.

And I think the main reason for this is our cultural obsession with materialism. We all want the latest and greatest. Latest fashion trends, new and pretty home furnishings, newer better cars, bigger houses, the list goes on. And I confess I’m a sucker for it. I love walking through the mall and seeing new pretty shiny things in windows. I walk through my house sometimes and dream of how nice it would be to have a big wardrobe to put everything in, or a nicer TV stand or a better coffee table. We've been brainwashed into thinking that having new 'things' will make our lives better, make us look better, make us better people. The problem is that sure having these new things would give me a vague sense of satisfaction and excitement of a new ‘thing’, and they may even make my daily life easier/neater/cleaner/prettier. But at the end of the day, they’re not things that I NEED are they?! I have drawers full of clothes, I have a coffee table that does the job just fine, and though a proper wardrobe WOULD be good, the porta-robe is doing the job for now.

It’s really quite hard, despite my best efforts and intentions, to find a happy balance that I know is not too materialistic yet still allows me to want and have nice things sometimes. I’ve lately really enjoyed getting into vintage and preloved clothes and accessories, not just for the awesome retro fashion but because it’s a great form of recycling and I love to think about the stories behind the pieces, who used to wear them, where they’ve been etc. As much as I love new clothes, it saddens me to know they generally come from some factory in China where women are getting paid minimum wage to churn them out then we get slugged some huge amount. It’s the same with new furniture, being churned out of a factory somewhere in Vietnam or Korea to feed the monoliths like Ikea. Trees being chopped down, chemicals being burned, minerals being stripped from the earth, oil being burnt. When you stop and think about it, it can leave you feeling rather depressed and with a headache to boot.

I know I will never stop buying new things entirely, but for the month of October I’m embracing a new concept and campaign called ‘Don’t Buy Anything New Month’. For the entire month of October, any clothes new to me will be preloved or altered. Any other ‘things’ new to me will be likewise preloved. I will abstain from ‘treating’ myself to some nice but unnecessary body lotion or lipgloss. I have enough really. I’m hoping that it will make me really understand and appreciate how much ‘stuff’ I often buy and how little of it I actually need. Hopefully I may even save some money – hurrah! And by the end of the month, despite my absence from the consumerism carousel, I won’t be seen as fringe or a tree-hugger (though I’d like to put it out there that there’s nothing wrong with hugging trees!), but my new-found sense of reduced materialism will be permanent or even contagious.

I would LOVE to get solar power, I really would, but as a full time student sadly that’s just not going to happen any time soon. I need to reconcile myself and be OK with doing what I can, and understanding that it’s always more than we think it is if we just make the effort. After all, it ain’t easy being green, but that’s no reason not to try a little harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment